I am getting REAL tired of being told that my experience with X product is obviously false because it is not the speaker's experience. I am also getting REAL tired of explaining that I have no interest in Y product because it doesn't work for me.

I'm not actually sure how people can hear me say "I want X product" and think that I have said "I want a testimonial about the wonder of Y product because I don't realise that Y product is ever so much better, as I have only recently crawled out from under my rock." (For reference, I crawled out from under this particular rock while the speakers were still in grade school. Literally.)

In other words, I crawled out from under that rock FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. I'm very aware of the options, I've tried most of them, and I've made a decision.

Y may be great. It doesn't work for me. I want people to stop trying to sell it to me, because trust me, I have heard it alllllllll before. (Last Friday, in fact. Last Friday was the last time I heard it.)

I feel like I've just announced that I'm pregnant and now I'd like to hear all the disaster stories disguised as "funny" stories, every time I try to buy this stuff. Or, you know, talk about it in public. Or in private. Or say the words of the name of the product in some order or in pig Latin.

It's kind of like saying "Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice!" apparently.

Maybe the next time this happens, I'll just stare intently at the speaker and start singing the Star Spangled Banner, because that would make about as much sense.

From: [identity profile] jdack.livejournal.com


I get this shit from people all the time. I state that I don't like rap music or sushi or platforming video games and then some douche invariable has to spend however long explaining to me why I'm wrong and that my stance is bred of ignorance.

Drives me fuckings nuts.

From: [identity profile] channonyarrow.livejournal.com


The thing that just frosts me about it is that this is about hair dye. I use Manic Panic, and the REASON I use Manic Panic is because Special FX DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. And yet, EVERYONE who has ANY interaction with this statement absolutely acts as though I am a) a complete moron for not KNOWING that SFX is omg so much better yey, and b) as though Manic Panic is personally and directly responsible for the oil spill, environmental collapse, the death of babies, and the rise of Nazi Germany.

I give not one tiny fuck what YOUR experience with hair dye is; I give QUITE A LOT OF ONE what MINE is. And I don't actually reply to people who really like SFX by saying "Oh, really? Manic Panic is so much better, I'm surprised you're not using that."

It's like, seriously, your experience =/= mine. I like what I like, I'm telling you something that I know is true for me, so why are you trying so hard to get me to like something else? And it's the same as every time my mom says she doesn't like fish and the speaker assumes that this just means that she hasn't tried the speaker's way of preparing fish. My mom has given up and just says she's allergic to it, which is sad that that's easier. So, yeah: as you say, my stance is not bred of ignorance, so let me have my stance IN PEACE.

From: [identity profile] jdack.livejournal.com


I've had to do the same thing re: fish. Claim an allergy I'm fairly sure I don't have.

Same goes with cake/donuts/etc at the office. I've had to start saying I'm diabetic to get people to leave me alone about eating their stupid cake on Fridays.

I DON'T WANT ANY FUCKING CAKE GODDAMMIT!

Stupid humans. They want everyone to be like them.
.

Profile

channonyarrow: (Default)
channonyarrow

Most Popular Tags

Powered by Dreamwidth Studios

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags